Blackjack unlike most casino games can be played with skill as opposed to just luck. It is the only game you will play against the house that you can have the advantage. With a significant level of thought goes into every decision. There have been many famous cases of teams of blackjack players taking casinos for millions. The MIT students that devised a card counting system are probably the most famous. They worked as a team and signaled each over so many consider this to be cheating. But a clever player can count cards and will have a good idea of the next card’s approximate value. Of course casinos did everything in their power to stop it or at least make it harder. The one biggest thing they did was the multi deck shoe. Now you play blackjack with as many as 8 decks shuffled in a shoe. Online blackjack even with 8 deck shoes is still the one game that with skill you can win.
Blackjack The Basics
If you have never played blackjack the rules are pretty simple. The first things you need to take into account are the usual precautions you should take before gambling online. Only bet what you can afford to lose. It may be obvious but have a bankroll separate from every other expense. Read the house rules. Blackjack is a game that has lots of different betting rules some casino use them in different ways so read carefully. Remember there is always a free play option for blackjack, practice first. The idea is to beat the dealer and to get as close to 21 without going over or busting. With online blackjack it is just you and the dealer at the table in a live game there can be as many as 7 players. You only have to beat the dealer though.
Place your bet by choosing the chip denomination then click on the deal button. Two cards will be dealt to you and the dealer. One of the dealer’s cards will be face up. Now you have a decision to make and this can depend on house rules.
- Hit – Another card is dealt to you this can be done as many times as you like to get as close to 21 without going over.
- Stand – This can be done at any time when you are happy with your hand. If you reach 21 the hand automatically stands. Once you stand the dealer’s hand is revealed and they play.
- Split – If you are dealt a pair you have the option to split them into two hands you get dealt another card for each and you play them separately each with a separate stake.
- Double down – This is an option that is not always allowed so check the house rules first. If you chose this you double the bet but only receive one extra card. Generally the correct strategy is to choose this if you have a total of 10 or 11 as the chance of hitting close to 21 with one more card is high.
- Insurance – Some casinos allow you this option if the dealer holds an ace. This allows the player to halve their bet insuring against the dealer having blackjack.
Once you have had you turn the dealer plays. Most casinos will make the dealer stand once they have 17 or over. If the hands are the same value the dealer always wins.
Statistics Are The Blackjack Player’s Friend
Understanding the maths involved can take your play to the next level. Card counting is a profitable strategy in blackjack. It has a few methods that are well written about they need to be read and learned as they are not that easy to master. If you want to get into this area of the game there are far more qualified writers on the subject. One of the simplest ways you can employ the numbers is by using the dealer’s card that is shown.
- 4, 5, or 6 – This is your strongest chance of winning. The dealer has no chance of winning outright with just one card. There second card has a 30% chance of being a ten which makes them very likely to bust. This is when you can stand on just about any number.
- 7, 8, or 9 – This is a very strong hand for the dealer there’s a very good chance the dealer will have hand to stand on so it pays to go for broke.
- 10 – The dealer will hit 20 or 21 38% of the time so stand on 17 or above.
- 2, or 3 – The dealer will have a good chance to draw many cards and not bust so you should go for the high end.
- Ace – If there’s no chance of insurance then the odds for the dealer are 30% of the other card being ten so hitting blackjack and a 62% chance of winning anyway.
Out of all the online casino games blackjack is the one that benefits from practice the most. Once you know how to bet on roulette you can go straight in. You get better at blackjack the more you play. Even if you don’t consciously use a system you will get to understand when to make a play and when to just stand on 13 and let the dealer bust. Blackjack is a masterful game enjoy.